Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Clay Class Creations

Zoey began taking this clay class a few weeks ago. She has been interested in clay for a while, but it is a form I know very little about. We were fortunate when a fellow homeschooling mom shared the contact for an experienced sculptor who taught clay classes for kids.

Her first project to get used to the clay was to make a dish. It came out very well. Blue is her favorite color right now.

Zoey was so excited to go on her first day to learn all she could. I think she was surprised by how much she already knew, either by watching YouTube or trial and error on her own.

The class seemed to go really well. When I picked her up, she had several pieces ready to be fired in the kiln. Her teacher truly appreciated her love for clay and her imagination to create. They seemed to get along very nicely.

There was a bell theme for this class. This is Zoey's Liberty Bell.
She even explained the history of the Liberty Bell and vaguely remembers seeing it in Philadelphia a couple years ago.
If you look closely, you can even see the crack she put in it for authenticity.

It took an entire week for those first pieces to come out of the kiln and be able to really see how they came out. I think all her pieces came out brilliantly. She was pleased too, especially with her lady bell.

Zoey's proudest creation of the day..."Bell Beauty"

 

Zoey has this "Bell Beauty" at her desk now and every once in a while she will pick it up and ring it getting this bright smile on her face. That is a beautiful sight to see.


Zoey has an inspiring abandon about being able to create freely with no expectation or judgment on herself. I would like to have more of that in my own life. It is one of many ways that she inspires me.

And because she had some extra time before class ended, she made a snake.
I am so very glad that we could find a class that supported her interests. I imagine clay with be a lifelong hobby for her. I hope she finds lots of joy in clay.

19 comments:

  1. Bell Beauty ☺☺☺ sweet name! a very perfect start, Zoey has talent!
    Happy WW! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she does. I'm glad she found something she is really interested in. I loved the name too, that's how she introduced her to me. <3
      Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful! My middle son has been asking about taking some clay classes too but unfortunately we don't have anything like that near us.. I love that she was free to be so creative with her pieces. Thanks for sharing with us at the Virtual Fridge; Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us a while to find someone. We bought supplies and learned from YouTube for a while. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  3. Oh that is so cool! All her pieces are just great, but I really love her lady bell! How wonderful for her that she loves what she makes. I know so many people who won't even try something for fear of failing. I work with polymer clay, and that's the first thing a group leader told everyone - Don't be afraid of failing. With clay, if you don't like it, you can squish it up and try over. And you just have to keep at it! Good luck Zoey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to start a class. I get so anxious about all the details, I have a hard time with some creative endeavors. Zoey really is an inspiration to me because she just makes it without worrying about how it will come out in the end. Clay is a beautiful art. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  4. Nice! I rarely use clay, mosttl because I don’t think I have a lot of talent for it and as I have little time for crafting, I tend to focus on the things I already master well. I would love to learn, though.
    That dish is fabulous and I think she’s already doing great.
    Thank you for joining The Really Crafty Link Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, she really enjoys her clay. I'm not very patient with clay, but she can sit for hours and work on a project. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely LOVED working with clay as a kid!
    So fun!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she has the opportunity to do it, she seems to really enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  6. I have those types of treasures from both my children and now grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is so wonderful to have these memories. Thanks for stopping by, have a great week!

      Delete
  7. That bell is so creative...looks like a lot of work went into it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she worked really hard on it. One of the few things she will take her time with and focus on. Thanks for stopping by, have a great week!

      Delete
  8. So cute!
    https://ilvecchiomulinodellerocche.wordpress.com/2018/10/09/what-lies-beneath/

    ReplyDelete