Friday, December 9, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I'm going to be honest. This has been sort of a ho-hum week. Not a bad week, just sort of blah. We all have those days, where you don't really care if it began or when it ends. It isn't a good feeling.

Every day should be taken by the hand and danced through. That is something I believe. Carpe Diem, right? SEIZE THE DAY! No matter what you are doing, whether working, staying at home, running around like a crazy person or like me doing laundry and taking care of a two year old day in and day out. We have to make the most of it and find joy, even in the mundane. That is another thing I truly believe.

However, just because I believe it doesn't mean I always succeed at the follow through. I sort of work up yesterday when I looked at my daughter and saw her laugh. Like most kids, I suppose, Zoey has a wonderful, infectious laugh. Ever since she was a baby her smile just lit up her entire face, like you could see the joy behind her eyes. It has always been one (of many) of my favorite characteristics of her.

Well yesterday we were playing and she started laughing. I don't even know what now honestly, my mind was somewhere else, probably thinking of all the dirty dishes piling up in the sink. But her laugh really got my attention. And I started laughing too. We just sat looking at each other and laughed for at least 5 minutes. Let me tell you, I felt so much better.

Laughter really is the best medicine.

Today has been so much better. My mind has kick started thanks to my daughter reminding me what is really important in life: each other and laughter.

Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones" (NIV). Even God wants us to find the fun in life and laugh often. By letting ourselves get into passive moods we crush our spirit and dry out. Life is too good to waste...so Seize the Day!

Vivi Bene, Ridi Spesso, Ama Molto
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

1 comment:

  1. It's great that she made you laugh! It's crazy how little kids remind us of the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete