Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Genesis (Bible in 90 Days)

So far my quest to read the Bible in 90 days is a huge success. I am really enjoying being in the Word everyday and opening my heart to what God is telling me.

I have decided to do my recap by the books of the Bible. Each book is it's own story and a message to tell. So this is an easy way to talk about it as read.

photo credit
I have been faithfully reading for a couple weeks now and have just finished Joshua, but I want to go back and start my recap at the beginning. 

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

What a way to start a story! Moses sure knows how to capture an audience, of course he had some pretty awesome help with God speaking through him. Genesis means "beginnings." It is the perfect way to begin God's Word and set the tone for the entire Bible. 

photo credit


Genesis is actually one of my favorite book of the Bible. I love reading the creation story and about the several first generations. I especially enjoy reading about God's love for His people and watching him keep his promises to them.

Gensis is long, but it is so rich. I have so much I want to share, but I'll keep this particular post as more of an overview. I can go into detail later as I go back and study some of my notes more in depth.

The first and arguably most important story in Genesis is the Creation story. 
Day 1: Light
Day 2: Sky and Water
Day 3: Land and Sea
Day 4: Sun, Moon and Stars
Day 5: Fish and Birds
Day 6: Animals and Man/Woman
Day 7: Rest and Declares All is Good
It seems so simple, but it is miraculous. I could write pages and pages about the majesty of God's Creation, but for now I will leave it with this verse:

"So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

photo credit

Then there is Adam and Noah, Abraham and Isaac, Jacob and Joseph. All of these stories and all of these generations were so amazing. There were faults and learning, but God loved them anyway and continues to watch us grow and live for Him. 

There are books written about each of these men I mentioned. But Abraham is man God says with be the "Father of Nations." And he is. All of Isaac's descendents become our day's Jews and Ishmael's descendants become our day's Arab's. It's crazy to imagine that we are the (many generations separated) descentants of Abraham.

"I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you." Genesis 12:2-3

What an amazing blessing. God is Good.

photo credit

Genesis is such an amazing journey. You travel and meet many people who are all struggling with their own troubles. Above it all is God watching over all of us simply wanting us to love and follow Him. Those who do are blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment