Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reading the Bible in 90 Days

Crazy right? I thought so too until I stopped and thought about it. I can read 300 plus page novels within a week, I read the Internet and other blogs constantly. Why can't I spend some of that time reading words to read the Bible instead? That would make it easy, at least doable.

This isn't a study. My favorite thing is to take a chapter, a section or even a verse and dive in deep. I love to see the layers of past, present and future unfold in the words. But for this reading, I am reading straight through without looking at any other books to study the Word. I am taking notes when ideas or certain verses strike me, but it is only side notes for myself, probably to study deeper later. By reading the Bible straight through, I feel I will get a great grasp of the connections as a whole. And though, I have read the entire Bible, I have never read it cover to cover, so it will give me a knew perspective.


photo credit

I encourage you to take this challenge with me. Perhaps at least make an effort to read the Bible everyday. I go the idea from Bambi at "In the Nursery of the Nation." She is taking the challenge for herself and her children with others from around the blogging world. Her reading started last Monday and she gives a sort of pep talk to get everyone started.

I sort of jumped the gun and started my reading last week. I knew that I wanted to do this and knowing myself I wouldn't have started at all if I waited. However, I am on day 8 and am staying right on track with the goal to read the Bible in 90 days.

photo credit

I am currently in Leviticus. And I remember why I don't usually read the Bible all the way through--Leviticus is hard to read. I really enjoyed Genesis. I love the beginning story and all of the generations leading up to the 12 tribes of Israel. Even Exodus is pretty awesome. It gets repetitive, but it is an exciting journey to follow Moses lead the people out of Egypt. But then you hit Leviticus and my motivation comes to a screeching halt. The book of laws is like reading a law book and most of them aren't even things we follow anymore because  Jesus is now the only sacrifice we need. I keep reminding myself there is still much to learn from ALL of God's Word and I need to keep an open mind to receive knowledge.

So I am continuing to read. It really is not that difficult for me to read through the amount each day. Granted I haven't started the next fiction book on my list, but I feel learning from the Lord by reading His Word is a little more of a priority for me right now.

There are many things that I am taking away from this and I will try to share them as they come. I will talk more about what I have already read later, but I do want to share this one verse that stood out to me:

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14


photo credit

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a great project! It is sad that a lot of us (me included) take time to read other things, but find it hard to read the Word of God. You inspire me!

    Becki

    ReplyDelete