Thursday, June 12, 2014

{Limitless Life} I am a Child of God - John 1:12

photo credit
John 1:12 -- "But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God."

I am a child of God! Those are powerful words. But what do they really mean? How do we get power from knowing we are children of God? And how do we become children of God?

I remember when I was young and lost. I was frightened of everything, but then I heard about Jesus. I knew of Him, but I didn't know Him. When I began to study the Bible and open my heart to God's Word, my whole world changed. I didn't know what it meant at the time. I still don't know that I can fathom the sheer joy and peace resulting from becoming God's child. There are not words for the transformation that occurs. But I know that I have strength now to overcome things I would have previously thought possible. There is true power in being called a child of God.

Everyone, all humans, were created in God's image (Genesis 1:27). However it is only after we believe and accept Jesus into our hearts that we have the right to be called a child of God. That is because a transaction takes place during the process of inviting Jesus into our hearts. We are born sinners, it is our nature. But while we were sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

photo credit

When we surrender ourselves over to Christ and allow Him to come into our hearts, He covers all of our sins: past, present and future. We are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17) because He transforms us into a child of God. We now belong to Him. Therefore, when we die and must account for our sins here on Earth, we do not have to fear judgment. Instead, we only stand and say "I'm with Him" and point to Jesus.

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Romans 5:1-5

Jesus continues to live in us and guide our hearts to be more like Him. Becoming a child of God is only the beginning. Throughout our lifetime God works in us through Christ to help us become more like him, to exhibit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). We gain strength, confidence, wisdom and understanding through Christ's continuous guidance and protection.

photo credit
God loves His creation and desires for all to become His children. He is faithful, He is love, He is eternal and He deserves all glory.

The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
Romans 8:16-17

photo credit

We are heirs to the great King of Kings. The power behind the knowledge that we are children of God comes not from us, but from Him. As children of God, His strength is revealed through us. I am a child of God and I can do anything because with my God, all things are possible (Philippians 4:13).

Blessings,
 ***********************
This article is inspired by a Bible Study with Proverbs 31 Ministries 
while reading Limitless Life by Derwin L. Gray.

P31 OBS Blog Hop

Proverbs 31 Ministries Online Bible Studies

4 comments:

  1. Amanda, we are SO heirs to the King! What a glorious thing that is! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our chapters this week.

    Missy (Proverbs 31 Ministries OBS Team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Thanks for the reminder of whose child I am! Great piece
    Genta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing today. This blesses my heart to know that I am His child. I needed this today <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you and being in bible study with you, Amanda! Praying you are staying close to Jesus in your new life in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete