Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas...Here's to Magical Memories!

photo credit

Today is Christmas. Thanks to a beautiful five year old it is a day absolutely filled with magic.

This year, for the first time in pretty much ever, I lost most of the build up of anticipation to this one day of wonder. This loss caused me heaps of anxiety during the week leading up to Christmas. However, now that it is Christmas day and long after all the presents are unwrapped and the playing has commenced, I think it simply the first year that I have truly  experienced Christmas as an adult.

Life is busy and crazy and the anticipation of Christmas day gets lost in action. Nonetheless, I completed the actions, the parental and societal duties and stacks of to-do lists and then began to prepare for the inevitable chaos that Christmas day brings. In the end, it was a genuinely great day and I feel immeasurably content with my world, even a midst the pandemonium of most every child's favorite holiday.

I am happy to let Zoey enjoy the magic of this season and even create that atmosphere for her, even though that means I had to wade through a sea of disarray. Now I sit with a steaming cup of coffee watching my daughter beam with joy and know that all the confusion and mess and stress was more than worth it. Hearing her laugh drift through our home lets me know that life is even better now that I've grown up to create the anticipation instead of simply live it.

I get to enjoy these moments once for myself, once through the eyes of my child and once more surrounded by the love of family and friends. These are the moments worth living; ones that I will remember forever. Contentment is an ideal long searched for by many. Many times it is found by simply stopping for a moment and truly living in it. Today I sit here perfectly content, reveling in this wonderful Christmas day.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Always,

No comments:

Post a Comment