Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pentatonix: Christmas Favorites

I have always loved Christmas music. Once upon a time I would begin listening to it after Halloween and still not be tired of it after Christmas day. I'm not exactly sure what happened to get me so cynical about Christmas music, but this year it has not been quite the same. Perhaps it is listening to the same twenty songs over and over ever year. Or listening to the same tracks over a retail stores's sound system for over a month. Or maybe I just got old and cynical. Any or all of these are possibilities. Nonetheless, I have a point. Even though the traditional Christmas music grates on my nerves in a way I never thought it possibly could, I still enjoy the Christmas tracks of one particular band...Pentatonix.

Pentatonix is an A Capella group that caught my attention a couple years ago on the Sing-off. Since then I have been following them on YouTube. Their music is amazing to say the least. There are only five of them with the occasional guest musician and their sound is as big as an entire orchestra. It is a combination of talent and skillful composition. All of their music is wonderful, but at this time of year when most Christmas music makes me cringe, Pentatonix comes through with beautiful melodies.

I want to share a few of my favorite of their Christmas songs:

"That's Christmas To Me"


This song took my breath away when I first heard it. I was literally cooking dinner and had a YouTube playlist running in the background and when this song came on I stopped everything and turned to listen and watch the video. It is beautiful.

"Mary, Did You Know?"


"Mary, Did You Know?" is one of my favorite Christmas songs. Musically, it is one of the most beautiful songs, especially as a duet. When I was a kid, I saw a couple sing this in my church that sent chills up my spin. Listening to Pentatonix's version of it has that same effect. I love this song, they did such an amazing job with it.


"White Winter Hymnal"


I actually heard this song first on the track loop we have running in Old Navy where I work. I loved this particular song when it came on and asked a co-worker if she knew the name of it one day. She said Pentatonix. I was astounded, not only because I know how wonderful they are, but because I was proud of them for making it onto the track loop for a retail store. There is just something about "making it" that comes with that. I saw this group when they began and it is wonderful to see them do well. This song is amazing, beautiful and technically very impressive. I enjoy it greatly.


These three songs are my favorites that came out this year. They each make me smile and really appreciate the season. These guys are so talented and their music is full of passion. I am excited to share this with you and I wish Pentatonix the best as they enter into the new year and a new tour beginning in Feburary 2015.

For More About Pentatonix:
Official Website: http://ptxmas.ptxofficial.com/
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmv1CLT6ZcFdTJMHxaR9XeA 


Do you have any favorite holiday songs, new or old? I'd love to hear them, share a link in the comments!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment