Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Writing and Drawing

I would describe myself as an artist, specifically a writer. I love to draw, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not very good at it. I'm not sure why, I've just never really taken the time to get good at it I suppose. But for some reason, it is writing that makes sense to me, even if my words don't always make sense.

photo credit

I've been practicing my artwork, specifically drawing and painting. I find that I'm better at painting simply because I blur the lines and colors together easier. It is also easier to create layers. I'm learning how to draw more by practicing more and more.

Nonetheless, it is writing that comes naturally. I figured it out, at least in part, recently. I can sit down with a blank piece of paper and be inspired to fill it with words. Even if those words don't connect or flow, I can still create them to make some sort of pattern. However, when I sit down to a blank paper with the intention of drawing, my mind goes blank. I have the stirrings of a panic attack and don't know where to start. I can't unload my mind using drawing like I can with words. Even right now, I know what these words look like on a paper, but I am clueless as to how to transform this emotion into artwork. One day I hope that changes, that I can sit down and draw my emotions. However, until then I will continue to practice my drawing and my painting and fall back to words to make life make sense.

This is an example of pouring my heart out on paper,
just trying to make sense of my world.

That's all we need right, to create order and understanding even if the method is chaotic and messy. Even if the words don't make sense, it creates sense for me. That is all art is...emotions for all to see and hopefully experience in their own way. Art is something that can never die because with it ends all human understanding. That would be a sad day indeed. For now I will write nonsense and some stories and continue to practice other forms of art. Maybe one day the world will make sense. Until then, just enjoy the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment