Friday, October 21, 2011

Get Dressed!

I came across this challenge introduced by Sarah Mae that basically involves getting dressed everyday. I know to some, especially working folks, that the idea of not getting dressed everyday is outrageous. However, I am a stay at home mom and there are weeks where I literally do not leave my house (or at least my property) at all. Other stay at home moms, I'm sure understand...or you have it all together and I congratulate you.

I confess I do not get dressed everyday. I generally change clothes everyday, but I have a nice collection of yoga pants and t-shirts that make up the majority of my laundry. I do this for several reasons, the forefront being that I run after a toddler all day and ultimately I just want to be comfortable. I don't see anything inherently wrong with this, but I do notice after a while that I get less and less motivated to do things.

It came to a head this week actually (which means this is the perfect time to find a wake up call like this challenge.) It was yesterday, a Thursday (I could never get the hang of Thursdays), I just put Zoey down for her nap. I sat down on the couch and realized I didn't want to do anything. I didn't want to scrapbook (my current project), I didn't want to read or write, I didn't want to watch TV, heck I didn't even want to sleep. It was the strangest feeling. I literally could have sat on the couch and done nothing for Zoey's entire nap and been completely content.

For the record, I did make myself do something. I poured myself a warm cup of coffee and listened to music for a bit and then I wrote on my novel. But I also realized something...I need to do something!

So today while I'm checking facebook, I found this question..."Are you dressed right now?" Well, no, no I wasn't. I had taken a shower, but I was still wearing my trusty black yoga pants with a T-shirt and a sweatshirt (because it finally decided to become fall). I know where this is going because it is on the "Raising Homemakers" website, a wonderful site that is inspiring and filled with stay at home moms, like myself.

After that incredibly long introduction, here is the Get Dressed challenge that I found...

The Get Dressed Challenge!

I needed this wake up call. But I probably won't get too involved in the challenge because I know that I don't do well with them. I do think this is a great reminder and Sarah Mae doesn't have some cool insights in her motivotionals. This last week has been rough in the motivation department, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. Instead, I'm going to take this reminder to heart and get up, get dressed (in real clothes) and do something everyday. 

To note...Sarah Mae is also the author of the book "31 Days to Clean" which included Mary/Martha and cleaning challenges. You can find her and her beautiful inspiration at Like a Warm Cup of Coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment