Thursday, November 1, 2012

National Novel Writing Month

Today marks the beginning of National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo)!!!

photo credit
What is NaNoWriMo you might ask? I didn't know anything about it until last year. It is a group of people coming together locally and online that support each other while they write. For anyone (including myself) who has ever thought about writing a novel, this is the perfect challenge. It focuses on writing everyday for one month. The goal is to write 50,000 words (about 175-page novel) in 30 days. That would mean averaging just over 1500 words a day. It sounds intimidating, but it is actually a wonderful experience!

I participated last year and managed to produce about 40,000 words. More than the volume of text you write, I enjoy NaNoWriMo because it immerses you in your characters and setting. By writing everyday it is easier to envision your thoughts turn into a novel instead of the chaos often found in your mind (at least that's how I feel it works in my mind.) The best part about participating with the program online is that you can collaborate with other writers, plan your novel and track your progress on the NaNoWriMo Website.
photo credit
This year, I am going to try something a little different. I am looking to write a devotional book. So for NaNoWriMo this year, I am going to add a little more each day. This is a project I have been wanting to pursue for a while now and NaNoWriMo is just the motivation I need to get started. I had such a wonderful time last year, I am very excited to participate once again!

Is anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo? Would anyone else like too? I will post updates on my progress and experiences, I would love to hear from you! You can learn all about NaNoWriMo at www.nanowrimo.org!

I hope you have a wonderful November!

No comments:

Post a Comment