Friday, April 15, 2011

The End of Naps?!?

I hope not.

This is Zoey this morning before lunch and nap. 
She was pretty in one of the outfits Granny made for her. 
But in her excitement she spilled yogurt all over her shirt at lunchtime, 
so I'm glad I got the picture when I did.


Zoey is not quite 20 months old. I thought we had this wonderful thing known as naps concrete until at least after 2 years. But the past week she hasn't napped during her nap at all. I hear her playing in her room, and when it gets quiet I listen really closely and she's in there talking to herself. She'll come bang on the door every once in a while, but then goes back to what she was doing.

She's in her big girl bed and does great with it. I wondered if this was the transition to her not taking naps, but she still took them the first few weeks she had the bed, so I don't think that is it. The first couple days, she got really cranky by the time bed time rolled around, but by the end of the week, her attitude got better too. So one whole week without a nap, sigh.

She stays in her room though. I don't mean to sound selfish, but I think every mom/parent (especially the stay-at-home types) rejoice a little when it is nap time. I don't do chores while she "sleeps," I wait and get her involved in those, she's a pretty good help too. No nap time is reserved for the wondrous "me-time!" I scrapbook or read or write or coupon or sometimes even sleep myself.

I have to admit, I am not really looking forward  to the day when she doesn't even have quiet time in her room. And that will last until she is at least 2 because Mommy said so. I really enjoy that little piece of the day I have to do what I want to do. If I don't do things in the afternoon, I rarely do them at night because I'm just too tired to concentrate on much. Hopefully this all gets better as Zoey gets older.

I agree with what most of you are thinking...She is still young and needs her sleep! Just try telling Zoey that, lol. But she is doing well and not seeming too drained. Also, this week she has been doing better about going to sleep at night. She lays down at her bed time, which is 8pm, but often she wouldn't actually fall asleep until 9, 9:30 or even sometimes 10pm. This week it gets really quiet at 8:30, I check on her and she is already asleep.

I guess it's all give and take and sleeping and eating patterns change constantly. Hopefully this is not the end of naps, for both our sakes. At the same time, it is nice that she can get through the day without a nap and be for the most part) okay without lots of meltdowns. Well, for right now, we still have a quiet time, and if that is our compromise for a while, I think we can both be okay with that.


1 comment:

  1. Esther sleeps from midnight to 11 am. (Dady works until 11pm and she needs to see him before bed.) We're night people anyway, so no big. I do really enjoy her naptime (usually 3-5). It means having some quiet me time to do things I enjoy or take a shower or a nap or sometimes make dinner without "help". I'm certainly not looking forward to an end of naps.

    ReplyDelete