Monday, February 10, 2014

Overcoming Your Secret Life - Luke 8:17

Luke 8:17 -- "For all that is secret will eventually be brought into the open, and everything that is concealed will be brought to light and made known to all."

photo credit
Why do we feel a need to hide things about ourselves? We all do it, wither in big or small ways. For example, I have a really hard time spelling. Despite the amount of time I spend reading and the small fact that I graduated with an English degree, I am honestly horrible at spelling. If it weren't for spell check you probably wouldn't even be able to understand what I write.

That seems silly, even to me, but it really makes me feel self-conscious. Like maybe if people knew, it would undermine my life as a writer. I'm learning to overcome these types of fears, even as I say this to you.

God knows our hearts. He knows everything about us, even more than we know ourselves. David understood how intimately God knew him:

Psalms 139:23-24 -- "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."

David is referring to the very real possibility that we do not always even realize we keep secrets or choose not to be ourselves around others. Though we can't hide from God, it doesn't mean there aren't times that we don't want to. Even more so are times we don't wants others to know. We don't want others to judge us or change their opinion of us because of our faults.

God knows all our faults and He loves us anyway. Pray that God will send you someone you trust to tell all your fears too. Through this type of communication and encouragement we can grow becoming closer to the Lord and more free to be ourselves, whom God created us to be.

God is always available to pour your heart out to. He wants to hear what's on your heart so He can help you overcome your fears and be confident in His love. As we overcome our fear of the effects of our short comings we become healthier emotionally, spiritually and we can take giant leaps toward the freedom God promises His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment