Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12:27

1 Corinthians 12:27 -- "All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it."

photo credit
Something not many people know about me is that I am a huge skeptic. I take very little at face value. I am always asking questions and have a hard time accepting authority.

Are you like me? Do you have to deal with someone like me? Skepticism can be challenging, but it can also we rewarding. Honest skepticism can be the first step to a strong faith.

That is what happened to me.

I didn't really grow up in a church. I went to churches, but I never stayed at any one for more than a year or two. However, I did grow up with Christ in my life. I thank my parents for that. I learned a lot more about myself and what I believe through those relationships than I ever have in a church.

Don't get me wrong, church is a very good thing. I am connected to one now that I absolutely love. However, it is the skepticism in me. Because anything good can also be corrupted. And unfortunately, I have come across my fair share of corrupted churches.

Of course this is nothing new. Paul wrote the majority of the New Testament in response to churches facing corruption. Between false teachers, pride, idolatry, greed and even laziness there are lots of ways churches can stray from Christ's teachings.

I've thought long and hard about the purpose of the church. And though we humans, with our corrupt ways, may turn church into something it isn't, church is still a very important establishment.

It was God who created the church. And just like when He created humans in Genesis, it had a pure foundation. As the church, as God's people, we are suppose to be looking out for each other and all doing our own part to better society as a whole.

We, God's people, are each part of the body of Christ. We as a whole make the church. We each have special gifts and talents that all come together to make a complete functioning unit. I am not always great at hospitality, for example, but my neighbor is. I can teach, but my neighbor gets nervous in front of crowds. I cannot organize very well, but my neighbor can. We each put forth our gifts, talents, whatever we are good at, and use them to glorify God and help each other. It is a thing of beauty really.

So yes, I am a skeptic, and I see some churches failing in areas, but that doesn't mean we should give up! It means we need to look to God's Word and see what His plan for the church was in it's purest beginning. It means we need to encourage each other and to put aside all of our differences and come together for one purpose - to glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment