Saturday, January 3, 2015

"3x5" by John Mayer

I'm not sure exactly when or how, but ever since I can remember I have processed life through a lens and a notebook. Zoey described what she was doing the other day like this: "I'm taking a picture and then writing down the journey." I was slightly taken aback by this philosophy from my five-year-old, but soon realized that I do the same thing.

I love to take pictures to remember all the little moments in life and then write down the journey. I've done it for as long as I can remember. And for the most part, I enjoy it. However, sometimes, I get lost behind the lens and forget to be in the moment. I forget to actually experience what is happening to me. As a result, I find that sometimes I look back on moments in my life and feel like they happened to someone else.

I try to live more in the moment and put cataloging the time on the back burner until the event is actually over. That does make me delayed in writing things down sometimes, but I find that I remember more because I experience it more passionately in the moment.

When I need help remembering to live in the moment, I go to music. John Mayer's "3x5" was one of the first songs I began going to during these times. I've been struggling with this concept again lately, so I wanted to share my inspiration to be present, every moment of everyday.



"3x5"
by John Mayer

I'm writing you to
catch you up on places I've been
You held this letter
probably got excited, but there's nothing else inside it
didn't have a camera by my side this time
hopping I would see the world with both my eyes
maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm
in the mood to lose my way with words
Today skies are painted colors of a cowboy's cliche'
And strange how clouds that look like mountains in the sky
are next to mountains anyway
Didn't have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I would see the world with both my eyes
Maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm
in the mood to lose my way
but let me say
You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
it brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
just no more 3x5's Guess you had to be there
Guess you had to be with me Today I finally overcame
tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame
Maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm in the mood to
lose my way but let me say
You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
it brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
no more 3x5's
just no more 3x5's


No comments:

Post a Comment