Friday, January 9, 2015

"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol

"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol is one of those songs that will forever mean the world to me. It came out the year Stephen and I were engaged. I remember we were sitting in his apartment in Florida the first time I heard it.

That was a very difficult time of life for me. Stephen was working 80 hour weeks at EA and I was living back in Clemson, SC finishing up my Bachelor's in English. It was my senior year and honestly I was ready to be done with school and start my life with my love. I drove eight hours on average twice a month to see him, if only for a day. It was a time of self discovery, but also a time full of loneliness and anticipation for "life" to begin.

Every time I hear this song I am sitting at Stephen's desk on edge ready to go do something. Stephen, who was probably tired from working so much, was sitting next to me. I remember him sitting back and taking my hand. He said, "Can't we just sit for a few minutes and listen to this song."

"Would you lie with me and just forget the world?"

I sat with him and fell in love all over again.

To this day, it is one song that I can't help but stop everything I'm doing and enjoy the stillness as long as it is on.

There are many ways that I've grown with this song. Since that day, sitting with Stephen, I have listened to this song to many times to count. These words have been with me through times of loneliness and love. They have pulled me out of hard times and confirmed happy ones. 

There is just something about a song that can mark time like nothing else. This is one of those songs for me. It is a beautiful, powerful song that has changed my life, always for the better.



"Chasing Cars"
by Snow Patrol

We'll do it all
Everything
On our own

We don't need
Anything
Or anyone

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

I don't quite know
How to say
How I feel

Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life

Let's waste time
Chasing cars
Around our heads

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we’re told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life

All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

I don't know where
Confused about how as well
Just know that these things will never change for us at all

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment