Thursday, March 29, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I've tried to be diligent about the reduce and reuse part. It happens in small ways, like taking reusable grocery bags and reusing containers and such. But it never felt like much of an impact--though I suppose every little bit helps.

The thing that was missing was recycling. For the area I live in recycling was never much of an option. You could either pay a monthly fee to get special (not cheap) recycle pickup or you could pack it up and carry it to the recycling center across town. Unfortunately, neither of these options worked. So we never participated in recycling.

Not anymore!
photo credit

At the beginning of the year, our city switched our waste pickup company to one who supported recycling. I was so excited. It makes me feel productive to do my part and recycle. I am thankful that our city decided to make the switch.

Now each week our recycling is overflowing. My only complaint is we need a bigger recycling bin because we have as much, probably more, recycling than garbage. Ideally, I would like to start a compost this summer, which will reduce our garbage as well.

I am thankful that we have another outlet to reduce our carbon footprint and be a little more environmentally conscious.

3 comments:

  1. We have the exact same problem. At my apartment complex, they finally provided one bin for recycling, but it fills up quickly and isn't picked up for like 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking time for sharing this article, it was excellent and very
    informative.
    Biogas Plant in Kerala
    Biogas Plant in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I am really happy with articles quality and presentation. Thanks a lot for keeping great stuff. I am very much thankful for this site.
    waste pickup companies near me

    ReplyDelete