Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I Remember Critical Thinking

Let's face it--being a stay at home mom, I don't get to talk to adults as often as I once did. Thus my communication skills are a little rusty. For the past two years my main objective has been to care for Zoey, to keep her safe, feed. I let her know how much she is loved and I teach her.

However, teaching the alphabet and counting isn't exactly that thought provoking on my part. I sort of realized my critical thinking skills were usused, but I didn't realize to what extent until lately.

For some reason, over the last couple months or so I found myself confronted in these debates about politics and topics such as abortion, gay marriage and U.S. economics. And I've put my thinking cap back on to give critical arguments for what I believe.

I remember talking about things like this daily. My roommates in college and I would discuss these types of things while getting ready in the morning, over coffee, or during dinner. I could back up an argument or play devil's advocate and I loved it. I even used my critical argue development skills while getting my English degree and while working for the newspaper. I love the challenge and I miss that.

I love being a stay at home mom, teaching and caring for Zoey. But I do miss being intellectually challenged. I try to look at building blocks, pretend, reading and coloring through Zoey's eyes, but honestly, it is often boring to me, especially doing these things all the time. I take the educational advantages of these everyday play times as much as I can, but challenging Zoey isn't the same as challenging myself.

I suppose I need to make a point to have more adult and intellectual conversation, but I just don't get out that much. I spend my time at home researching methods of teaching my toddler/preschooler and scrapbooking, which is my creative joy. I also write, read and study (mostly the bible), which helps me intellectually, but those things are just me. It's different to have a conversation with someone and having to defend your ideas.

I'm not really meaning to go on a rant, but it just seems like I'm missing out on the intellectual stimulas recently. I don't really know what to do about it. I suppose I could stay more in the loop of current events again. Of course that takes time to read and research, which I don't consistently have. Plus, I don't really have a passion for that sort of thing.

I don't really know what I'm saying anymore. See, rusty on intellectual conversation. I love being a stay at home mom and I wouldn't change my time with Zoey for anything. Maybe I just need to find a creative intellectually stimulating outlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment