Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Couch to 5K

So it looks like I am going to run a 5K in October. If you know me at all you are now looking at me with a crazy "who are you and what have you done with Amanda" look because I HATE to run. However, I need to get off my butt and excercise consistently so--I'm running a 5K in October.

It wasn't even really my idea. One of my best friends called me up last week and basically said, "I'm going to ask you something and I want you to say yes." She told me about what is called the "Color Run" and wanted me to run it with her. "It will be fun" she said.

Fun. Right.

But, I have heard about the "Color Run" and it sounds awesome! Basically, you run the 3.1 miles and at different checkpoints you get doused in color. By the end of the race you are covered in colors and then it's time to start really having fun.

I decided that if I have a fun goal with a set date I would follow through in my exercise (even if it is running). It will also help that (in theory) I will have several people doing this run with me. It will be a great time and a chance to catch up with people I haven't seen in years.

Stephen laughed at me because he's been trying to get me to run for two years (since he started running) and I have no reason why I haven't started yet. But I am starting now and that is what matters. I have no idea how it will go, but I will run the 5K in October whether I'm ready or not, so hopefully I get ready.

I am starting the "Couch to 5K" program this week. Apparently the trick is to start out slow. I can definitely do that.

I've run twice so far this week. A pretty good start if you ask me. I intend to run again on Friday (since Stephen  is running a 5K tomorrow evening and I won't be able to get out and run without Zoey).

The second run was a lot better than the first like I figured, but I was surprised by how much better. I even skipped a day in between. The second day was faster with longer strides. And even though the distance in the stats are off, I ran the same look both days so it is about a miles both runs.

Here are the stats:

Monday 4.16.12: .97 miles in 18:59 minutes at an average speed of 2.6 mph.
Wednesday 4.18.12: .89 miles in 15:56 minutes at an average speed of 2.9 mph.

I'll try to keep you updated (more like myself accountable).


No comments:

Post a Comment