Thursday, April 26, 2012

Psalms (Bible in90 Days)

photo credit
We find Psalms at the center of the Bible. It is the longest book and the most beautiful. Psalms gives us a perfect example of raw emotion. It is the most honest way to worship God, expressing prayer and praise. 

King David wrote the majority of the Psalms, but the book is a collection from many others including Asaph, Solomon, Heman, Ethan and Moses. Several are anonymous. These men weren’t worried about impressing other people. They did not use clichés or common verses to communicate with God.

No, they wanted a lot more from their relationship with the Lord. They told God exactly how they felt. When times were a struggle, they prayed and poured their hearts out to God. They would confess their sins and ask for help. When times were good they would lift their hands and hearts to the Lord and tell him exactly how wonderful he is.

I have always loved the Psalms, but I appreciate them even more now that I know more of the history behind them. I can place, for the most part, what was happening and what the authors were going through when they wrote. It makes the Psalms even more wonderful.

I don’t think the Psalms were meant to be a history lesson, but the authors wrote about their struggles and triumphs, which are recorded pieces of history. Understanding how real the emotions are make the Psalms that much more powerful.

The Psalms show us the power of a true relationship with God. We can see God work through His people and the extent of his forgiveness and love. By leaving our pretenses behind and being completely honest with God we can build and maintain a deep and genuine relationship with Him. 

photo credit
Psalms are some of the most quoted scriptures from the Bible. And I have a few favorites myself that I would like to share:

“Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.” Psalms 27:13-14

“For the Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in song of thanksgiving.” Psalms 28:7

“Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.” Psalms 37:4

“Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord, for his is good! His faithful love endures forever.” Psalms 106:1

No comments:

Post a Comment