Friday, April 20, 2012

One Week Completed (Couch to 5K)

Today completes week one of my couch to 5K challenge! Hooray!!!

I thought it would be horrible, but really ended awesome. I still am not very good at running, but like most things it is just mind over matter. I learned the proper techniques of running and decided I could do it. And I did.

Today's run was the best yet. I pushed myself a little bit since it was the last run of the week. Instead of going around the not quite one mile loop, I went down the next street and turned around after a good distance. It ended up being 1.35 miles. I kept thinking I wasn't going to make it home and then I would start running again. I surprised myself with how well I did. I wasn't even about to hyperventilate by the time I reached home.

I realized the other thing that has changed between this time attempting to run and previous times is that I do yoga (not quite consistently). The point is that I have learned to breath better; to take deeper breaths the fill up my entire lung instead of shallow breaths.

After just one week (three runs) I have managed to make it 1/3 of the distance I need to in a relatively good time. There is hope for completing this race in October. Granted I'm not running the whole time, I'm running then walking, running then walking. However, the point is to finish the distance, it doesn't matter so much how you get there.

I am very proud of myself this week. I accomplished step one in my goal. And I feel great.

Stats:
4.20.12: 1.35 miles in 24:29 minutes at an average speed of 3.3mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment