Monday, September 28, 2009

No More Breastmilk

So I am no longer breastfeeding :(

This is unfortunate, I really wanted to give Zoey those nutrients a lot longer than this, but I have to take care of myself too.

Zoey had a huge growth spurt at one month old and I could not keep up. Not only was my milk supply too low, but my breasts were raw. I ended up supplementing my milk with formula so she would be full. I didn't mind because my breast hurt all day whether she was feeding or not. I tried to keep nursing, but even with rest, ointment and covers my breasts weren't getting any better.

My breast just started drying up. Instead of making more milk they began to make less. While trying to pump my nipple started bleeding. Not a little crack with a drop of blood, but 3/4 of my nipple was split open and blood was starting to flow into the milk. It was at that point I was done. I tried again the next day (this happened at night) for good measure, but I was done.

It has been a few days since and I still haven't made any more milk and my breasts are still cracked and a little sore. I didn't want to give up breastfeeding so soon, but there is a point where enough is enough. Like Stephen said, "We do not live in times where you have to hurt yourself to feed your child." I really appreciated his understanding because I was beating myself up pretty badly.

There were probably things I could have done differently to have a better outcome, but I did what I could at the time. Zoey was breastfed solely for a month and that is better than not trying at all. I love Zoey so much, and she is a healthy and happy little girl.

AGM
9.28.09

No comments:

Post a Comment