Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Favorite Things

I feel like I have been very deep lately. I have been soul searching and finding some strength within myself that only God knew I had. So today, I want to lighten things up a bit. I want to relax a little and focus on some of the things that make my heart smile.

These are 10 of my favorite things that I love to do...

1. Playing with Zoey


Somehow, interacting with a three year old everyday keeps me feeling young (except for when I can feel that I'm getting older by how tired I can be at the end of the day.) Okay, so I feel young at heart. I love molding playdough, reading simple stories together, coloring and drawing, running outside playing kitchen and pretend. My little girl has an incredible imagination. One of our favorite games together is to play "The Princess and thwe e Dinosaur" a game she made up where one of us is the princess and the other is the dinosaur chasing her while she tries to run away. It always ends in giggles and a slow afternoon come to life.

2. Spending time with Stephen


I feel blessed that my husband is also my best friend. I love when we go out and do thing together, but I also love when we just sit together and talk about anything and everything. We also play video games, read, and watch TV together. Even if we are doing two different things, just spending time in the same room, talking idly feels like quality time. I love my husband and spending time with him is definitely at the top of my list.

3. Scrapbooking


Scrapbooking has been a consistent hobby of mine since college. It is the one thing that I manage to keep up with (for the most part at least) and find complete joy in doing. It combines my favorite two things, page design and memories. I have come to terms as I have gotten older that I don't have the best memory. I often forget details and even entire events over the course of time. With scrapbooking, not only do I enjoy putting the pages together, but I love looking back and remembering all of the little moments together. This has been especially wonderful since Zoey was born. It's such a blessing to look back and watch her grow up through the pages of my scrapbooks over the last couple years.

4. Reading

photo credit
I love to read and have my entire life. I chew through books all the time. If it were't for the library I would go broke buying books to read and sometimes re-read. I love getting lost in the mysteries and getting excited about characters meeting and growing as people. Often particular characters stay with me long after the book is finished. These are the books that are really well written and speak to me personally. I love to get caught up in other's stories to keep my mind occupied and to get away from the world for awhile. My favorite author of the moment is Sarah Addison Allen who writes loves stories with a little bit of magic woven in. I would recommend any of her novels, they are all amazing.

5. Writing

photo credit
Writing is my way to sort through my thoughts. I learn, understand and make conclusions best by writing. I enjoy writing and finding new ways to describe beauty. I love to write poetry, prose and even research documents. I am currently working on a fiction novel that though is a long way from being completed, gives me great joy to create a world and what characters develop in it. I figure most people with a blog understand this in some way because that is what a blog is, a journal, a written form to share your thoughts with the world.

6. Photography


I have a natural eye for photography. I am not the best and I don't have all the awesome computer programs and cameras (though it is one of distant dreams to have such.) However, I have a small camera that takes really good photos and I not only get awesome photos of Zoey and my family, but I also get great shots of landscapes, architecture and the world in motion. I just a lot of my photography on this blog as well because photographs are how I translate my visual creativity. I cannot draw well at all, but I can take a good picture. It also goes hand in hand with scrapbooking to recollect my memories and to capture beauty.

7. Baking and Cooking


This is a fairly new one for me. I have always loved being in the kitchen because it is the social place in my house and it was when I was growing up too. We stand or sit in the kitchen and talk about everything. It is a comforting place for me and I love teaching Zoey all about cooking. Recently, however, I really started delving into recipes and cooking (and baking) from scratch instead of from boxes. This is one way to save money, but more importantly I enjoy seeing raw ingredients come together to make something wonderful and delicious. Now baking and cooking are definitely on my favorite things to do list.

8. Music


I don't do this one often enough lately. I played in the band in high school (since middle school to high school). I played the trumpet and then the french horn (mellophone for marching). This began my love for creating music. I also taught myself how to play the piano. I love music and it has always had a special meaning to me. I listen to all kinds of music all the time, often when I write, for example, or do anything really. Stephen is a wonderful musician. He plays guitar, bass and drums mostly. I am barely an amateur musician, but I still find joy in it.

9. Calling a friend


This seems silly to put on this list, but as I've gotten older and more busy since Zoey was born, it really is a special treat to sit and talk to a friend. I have kept relatively well in touch with several friends from high school and college and I am thankful that I still have people who have known me over the years. We are always making new friends that are local and we spend time with them often. However, there is something special about keeping a friendship over the distance of space and time. Those are the people I go to when I just need moral support, someone to laugh with or just a familiar voice to make me smile.

10. Nothing


My final favorite thing that I love to do is nothing. There is something so peaceful about just letting your mind go and resting your body. That feeling is increased if I am outside or if it is raining. Being outside and in nature makes me feel connected and even closer to God. Taking a deep breath and letting that true joy settle into my spirit is an irresistible feeling. It is a moment to be at one with the universe and no matter what is happening a calm rests over me and I know beyond doubt that God is in control watching over all of us and everything is going to be alright.


That is just what I needed, to relax and remember how my favorite things make me smile. It is so easy to get caught up in the everyday and the deep, soul-searching thoughts. However, I enjoy taking a deep breath, relaxing my body and my mind and remembering how much God loves me. In just a moment I can feel that complete joy overtake my body and mind again to reline myself and allow all of my study and prayers bring me closer and closer to God.

photo credit
I ask, dear friends, that you take just a moment to pray for me and my family as we go to our first prenatal appointment tomorrow. I am so excited and so nervous about this one. I know God is in control and he is watching over us. Pray that our baby is growing just like he or she should and this pregnancy goes full term so we can invite a precious new family member into our family. I have learned through two miscarriages that these are God's children and I am just their earthly mother guide. I cherish every moment with my daughter and I pray to be able to be that guiding light to another baby. Thank you friends. I hope you have a wonderful day today and a wonderful Friday as well.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post! I love a lot of the SAME things! :) Praying that you hear good news at the doctor tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete