Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Witnessing the World

Zoey and I went to play at the “Dragon” park, we call it because there is a big, red Dragon head to play on. We had a lot of fun, as usual. We played together for a while, but per usual she wanted her independence to play with the other kids without Mommy around. I gladly took my inevitable seat at a picnic table under a tree and pulled out my book. Have I mentioned I've been waiting for this opportunity for relaxing park trips for almost three years now. I love it, Zoey gets lots of energy out and though we play some together, I get to relax outside too.
Zoey on top of the red dragon's head
On this day, we were surprised when two big county vans pulled up full with women and children. Some women were older, some really young with kids, toddlers and even little babies. It was nice to see the playground full of kids and Zoey had a blast making new friends.

"Titanic" anyone?
A couple of the ladies sat at the picnic table with me and we began to chat. They were very sweet people and I could tell how glad they were to be out at the park with their kids. I found out that the group was from the local Women's Shelter. The shelter helps to keep women, especially those with children off the streets, provides food, clothes and even education. Most of the women were indeed either finishing high school or beginning a bachelor's degree through a program with a local community college.   


Zoey pretending to be a chef
I felt very blessed that I was able to be there and talk with these women. Zoey had fun with all the kids and it turned out to be one of the best park adventures in a while. I said a prayer for all of these women and kids when we left. My heart poured out to them and their hardships. I do not know if they had Christ in their heart, but enjoying the moment and meeting people who make them feel good about themselves is always a kindness.
Ride 'em cowgirl!
After my interactions with these women I stopped for a moment and felt extremely blessed for my family and my husband who is a light in my life and an amazing Dad to Zoey. I thank God everyday day for my blessings and I treasure my relationship with him. 

Zoey zipping down the slide
I thank God for the opportunity to be a light to someone and be able to learn from an everyday situation. Always be thankful for what you have, for the love God provides no matter what state you are in, and to lift prayers and aid to those who are in need. 

Zoey conquering the gap
"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35

My Beautiful Zoey,
I thank God for her everyday.
"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

No comments:

Post a Comment