Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Restless Dreams - Ecclesiastes 5:3

Ecclesiastes 5:3 -- "Too much activity gives you restless dreams; too many words make you a fool."

photo credit
Have you ever had so much on your mind that you just couldn't sleep? I have. In fact, I often have trouble sleeping for this specific reason. So when I read this verse, I was immediately convicted.

I am a mother, a wife, a writer and an individual. I have a lot to keep up with. I have many to-do lists, a calendar full of appointment, meetings and play dates. I have menus to make, articles to write, dishes to clean and laundry to do. And I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about it. I'm sure your lists look about the same.

So when I lay down to go to sleep, anything I didn't get done is often still on my mind. Events or deadlines that are coming up weigh on my mind as well. And that's not to mention any time there is sickness or extra things going on in the family. Sound familiar? I know I can't be the only one convicted by the idea that too much activity gives you restless dreams.

But, what do we do about it? It's not like we can call the schools and tell them to give less work. We can't make the dishes or clothing wash themselves. There will always be lists and schedules to keep up with. Maybe it's time to look at the extra activities. Have you said yes to volunteering for something that is just becoming too much? Are you spending too much time on Facebook or watching TV that affect you getting things done around the house? These, and more, are important questions to ask yourself when you often feel overwhelmed.

Then, let's say you cut out all of these extra time eaters and you still feel overwhelmed. It is still very possible. You have done what you can to quiet the activity, but now it is time to quiet the mind. Jesus tells His disciples of a peace that only He can bring. A peace that holds up despite the struggles of the world - those struggles include long lists and busy schedules by the way.

John 14:27 -- "I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid."

When we go to God everyday and ask Him to help us manage our homes and our schedules, He answers. He may not lessen the load, but He will give you peace of mind and heart to bear it. When we give all of our doubts, struggles, fears, anxieties and restlessness to God, He answers, He gives us peace and He gives us sleep.
 Tales From A Mother - Daily Devotionals 

No comments:

Post a Comment