Monday, November 18, 2013

With Thankful Hearts - Philippians 4:6

Philippians 4:6 -- “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.”


This is, hands down, the busiest season of the year for me. I tend to get overwhelmed by fall activities, visiting family, cooking lots of food, planning for Christmas on top of all the other daily to-do lists. I find when I begin to get stressed out by all of these extra things on my mind, I lose focus on God and the enemy swoops in to tell me I can’t get all or sometimes any of it done.

It happens every year to some degree, but this year it is hitting me very hard. The enemy is whispering in my ear that I’m not good enough and that everything I am trying to for my friends and family and to uplift the Lord, just isn't worth it. However, God tells us, “Don’t worry about anything” and to “pray about everything” and to “thank Him for all he has done.”

I really stopped to think about this verse on night when I felt low and that none of my efforts seemed worthwhile and the Lord spoke to my heart. He impressed on me that it wasn't about getting everything done or pleasing everyone around me, it was about being thankful for what and who I have in my life. More importantly that I don’t have to worry about all the details because God is in control and He will give me the strength I need to complete each task when His timing is right for it.

Instead of focusing on all the things I have to do and people I have to see (and cook for,) I need to start bringing my focus back to God. I need to praise Him for everything He has provided in the last year. I need to cherish the moments with my family and friends instead of worrying about how much food to cook. I need give all my worries to God and rely on Him. I need to be thankful for the big things and for the little things that God has done in my life.

“With Thankful Hearts,” I devote the next two weeks before thanksgiving to giving thanks to the Lord. I want to put Him back into perspective and slow down my mind and my heart so I can hear Him speaking to me even as my days get busier, my to-do lists get longer and the distractions of the world can overwhelm me.

I want to give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever.

View more in the "With Thankful Hearts" Series

No comments:

Post a Comment