Thursday, December 12, 2013

Finding Contentment - Proverbs 30:8-9

Proverbs 30:8-9 -- “Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.”

photo credit
It seems that Christmas is a time of excess. It's not that we have more to spend, but we try to make more out of what, sometimes little, that we have. We make Christmas lists, especially the kids of all the things we wish we could have. This, however, has a tendency to make us discontent with what we do have.

Solomon writes in his proverb to "give me neither poverty not riches, but give me only my daily bread" (Proverbs 30:8). We only need enough. This goes for all things honestly. We only need enough food, possessions, and even time. It is how we use what we have that makes the difference.

Philippians 4:11-12 -- "Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little."

It is when we want for excess that we get into troubles of the heart. Because then we tend to forget who the true provider is for all of our blessings. This is a difficult time of year for contentment, but that is exactly why we need to be reminded. By keeping Jesus and His love as the true focus of the season, we can find contentment even in a season of excess and wish lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment