Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Wife of Noble Character: Prepares for the Day

Proverbs 31:15 -- "She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls."

photo credit
This verse makes many good points. However, I'm going to go ahead and dismiss the point that it is a requirement to get up before the sun rises, though it is a viable option and the best for choice for some. Also, I don't have servant girls, but I do manage my household. Let me break it down so I can explain further.

"She gets up before dawn."

The takeaway I get from this statement is we need to make time to pray and prepare for the day.

Mark 1:35 -- "Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray."

I know if Jesus needed time to pray, to be alone with God, I definitely do. This time doesn't necessarily have to be before daybreak. I personally think better in the morning, but I have a really hard time getting up before the sun. This time is going to be different for everyone, the point is it is important to have alone time with God.

"...to prepare breakfast for her household."

I have a young child so I do get up and prepare breakfast in the morning. However, it is usually simple like cereal or yogurt and fruit. I don't think they accounted for Pop Tarts as breakfast when this Proverb was written. There isn't a whole lot of preparing in this day and age unless you just want to do it. I believe there is more to understand from this verse than just making breakfast though.

Romans 12:11 -- "Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically."

Get up and get moving. Quiet time is important if you choose to do that in the morning, but afterward get started on a productive day. Get excited about what the day has to offer and figure out ways to serve God enthusiastically -- don't get caught up in the stress and exhaustion of routine. Find ways to spend meaningful time with others and make the most of everyday.

"...plan the day's work for her servant girls."

Well, I don't have servant girls, but I do manage my household and make sure everything gets done.

Luke 12:42 -- "And the Lord replied, “A faithful, sensible servant is one to whom the master can give the responsibility of managing his other household servants and feeding them."

I interpret this to mean that God believes I am his faithful and sensible servant because I accept the responsibility of managing my home. For me this usually means getting chores done, making sure my daughter gets meals and has every opportunity to learn and explore new things. It means making sure everyone has what they need when they need it.

This again is going to look differently depending on who you are and what stage of life you are in. It's okay that it is all going to be different, no two women of noble character are going to be the same because God made no two people the same.

A wife of noble character has much responsibility for those around her. She is the center of making it all happen. Take time to spend alone with God, take time to prepare and make time to get it all done. Easy right? Maybe not, but definitely an amazing goal to work towards. Rely on God and ask for help -- He will see you through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment