Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In the Name of Jesus

Acts 3:6 -- "But Peter said, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!”

photo credit
There is immense power in the words we speak. There is even more power in a name. This holds true especially when considering the name of God. After Jesus ascended to heaven 40 days after His resurrection and speaking to many of His disciples, He left the Holy Spirit to guide all who followed Him. He also left them another gift, the ability to call upon Him, to use the power of His name to further work in His Kingdom, the Kingdom of Heaven.

John 14:12-14 -- "(12) "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. (13) You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. (14) Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!"

Peter gives us a powerful example when he heals a lame man begging at the temple. Jesus wanted His followers to continue His work here on earth even after He ascended from it. we are not able to do anything in our own strength. However  by putting our faith in the Lord, by calling on the name of Jesus, we can do amazing things for the Kingdom while we are still on earth.

Dear Lord, 
Thank you for giving us the ability to call on you to further Your Kingdom. Help me to know this is not to better myself but to better others and help them to know Your amazing love. Help me to reach out to others and help them just as Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment