Thursday, August 8, 2013

With All Your Heart (Yes God! Week 1)


This past week I began an Online Bible Study, partnered with Proverbs 31 Ministries. I, along with about 22,000 other ladies, are reading "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" by Lysa TerKeurst. And I must confess, I am already blessed, just by reading and accepting the challenge to change. 

I honestly wasn't sure what I would get out of this study or what I was even looking for. However, I do truly enjoy digging in and studying God's Word, so I jumped at this opportunity to participate. What I am finding, is one theme over and over again...Obedience brings blessings. One act of obedience leads to dramatic change in God's Kingdom. When we say "yes" to God we are simply accepting a gift He is giving us. It may seem like a sacrifice at the time, but the joy He provides is nothing compared to staying safe in our own comfortable little bubble. God makes all for good and He will turn that sacrifice into a blessing, not only for you, but for someone else as well - maybe even someone who you don't even realize you have touched.

I have discovered many BIG ideas, even in this first chapter. The name of it is "A Soul That Longs for More." Isn't that what we all want, more? More money, more time, more joy, more peace - are we ever really satisfied? Not easily and not without God. But there comes a moment when you are nice and safe in your comfort area doing what you know how to with people you know like the back of your hand and you wonder, is this it? Each week looks about the same, you know what to expect and you feel a sense that there has to be something more.

I didn't realize I had been having this feeling for as long as I had until I really began to understand what I needed to do. I need to say, "Yes God!" These are all ideas I've been mulling over for a while: stepping out in faith to receive more, you must act to see results, that nothing is ever coincidence - it's God. However, when Lysa puts all of these concepts side by side instead of looking at them independently, it all clicked. God is making a way for us, all we have to do is walk it, all we have to do is say "YES!" It isn't always easy, let's face it, it is rarely easy. But, it is worth it. And you will begin to find what you are looking for. 

The verse we are focusing on this week is Deuteronomy 6:5 -- 


This is a phrase that is mentioned over and over again in the Bible. You have to love and reach out to God with everything you are at every moment. However, love is not a feeling, it is a action. Loving God can not just be a declaration of emotion, it has to be a promise and a commitment. It means saying "yes" I will do whatever you say because I trust You to make all good.

It doesn't stop there. By loving God, we, by extension, must love others because that is what God loves. When we love God we love what he loves, which is everyone.

Whatever God Says Do, Do It!

This is the message that Lysa leaves us with in chapter one. What does my soul long for? To be connected not only to the creator, but also to others. I want to live for the purpose God intended for me. And the way to accomplish that is to do whatever God says to do. It seems so easy, however, it is anything but.

I wish all the other ladies doing this study to receive blessings as I am. I pray blessings over all who take the challenge and walk with the Lord. I pray we can SAY YES to God Today!

Check out my Daily Devotions!
 Tales From A Mother - Daily Devotionals 

Linking up with Proverbs 31
Proverbs 31 Ministries Online Bible Studies

Come and Enjoy a Blog Hop where women are saying YES to God!
P31 OBS Blog Hop

1 comment:

  1. "Obedience brings blessing." YES! This is a wonderful thing to hear over and over again until we really own it, isn't it? Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Amanda!

    Missy Pettigrew
    (OBS FB Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete