Monday, February 18, 2013

Control Your Temper

Ecclesiastes 7:9 -- “Control your temper, for anger labels you a fool.”

photo credit
This verse speaks directly to me. Actually most verses that talk about anger are for me. I’m a lot better than I used to be, Praise God! But, he isn't done with me yet. I still slip up when it comes to anger issues and all I can do is label myself a fool and pray for the Power of God to intervene.

I believe anger is a hot topic -- no pun intended. Especially for those of us with kids. No one can test me like my daughter can. It is sometimes very easy to lose control of your temper, especially when you are tired or have a lot on your mind. Those two seem to be my greatest weakness when it comes to losing my temper.

I challenge you, and myself, to be preemptive about temper control. Instead of waiting until after the blow up to ask God forgiveness -- ask God to help you be slow to anger, especially if you are tired. If stress is more often the trigger, give it to God. Our bodies are not meant to hold the mental, and sometimes physical, strain that stress puts on us. However, God can. He can hold all my stress, your stress and much more without even a bead of sweat. If he can handle it and I can’t, I pray, give it to Him -- He is more than willing to take it. When we clear up some of the triggers, control seems a little more possible.

Don’t be afraid to ask God for help -- He will not rebuke you. It seems so easy, “control your temper” -- it’s not. I can’t do it, but God can. What are you waiting for? All you have to do is ask!

Dear Lord,
I need help. My temper is not always under control and I don’t want to be labeled a fool. I can’t control my temper on my own, but you can. Give me strength and wisdom to control my temper.

No comments:

Post a Comment