Friday, February 8, 2013

Stay Free

Galatians 5:1 -- “So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.”

photo credit
I remember being saved. I was so excited to become a Christian! I was ready for the change, the joy, the peace, the true difference that being a Christian was all about. And it was joyful and a very good kind of different -- for a while. Slowly, I began to sink back into old habits and my life felt less and less changed.

Jesus died to save us -- to set us free from sin and also from a long list of laws and regulations. Our freedom is not a waiver to do whatever we want; instead, it is a proclamation that we can reach God and not be bound by sin. Even if Christ frees us, if our only use of that freedom is to fulfill selfish desires, then we will find ourselves tied up once again in slavery to our sin.

Paul warns us to make sure and stay free. Keep Christ always in the forefront of your mind and choose Him instead of your selfish desires. Christ truly set us free, but it is our choice to live in that freedom and maintain a close relationship with God or be bounded by our selfish desires.

Dear Lord,
I know that you set me free. Thank you for sacrificing yourself on the cross to purchase my freedom with your blood. Help me to stay free -- to choose you over my selfish nature and to no longer be tied up in slavery to sin anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment