Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Silence is Golden

Proverbs 17:28 -- “Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.
photo credit
I like to talk. I enjoy the company of others and often speak, especially to people I don’t really know, and say too much. It is times like these when I feel a fool.

As I grow as an individual and in Christ, I am learning the value of silence. There are several benefits to keeping quiet. It is by far the best policy if you have nothing worthwhile to say. I remember hearing my mother say, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.” It really is wise advice. I have a tendency to speak, especially in a group setting, just to continue the discussion, even when all points are covered. In short, I tend to ramble. It is not productive. After I finish I often feel it was a waste, I feel foolish for extending the matter unnecessarily. I often feel like I say too much or repeat myself. My challenge, and perhaps yours as well, is too realize when you’ve said enough and simply let it rest.

By staying silent in a matter you are unsure of, it give opportunity to listen and learn. It is hard to learn from others if you are doing all the talking. (The finger is pointing my way again!) These are all points that God is still working on me.

It took me a long time for my thoughts to become innately positive. Now it is time for me to focus on when to speak and when to be silent and to listen and learn. In addition, by pausing before you speak, you will ensure you have something important to say and then others will listen in return.

Dear Lord,
Please help me to control my mouth. Give me the discretion to know when to speak and when to be silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment