Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Crown of Life

James 1:12 -- "God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

photo credit
Do you ever wonder if you are making a difference in this world? I do. In general, as Christians, we try to make the world a little bit better, to shed some light into a world covered in darkness. I watch the news and see how cruel people can be to one another and it is just depressing. I can't imagine the grief God feels over his lost children.

James tells us that God blesses those who endure testing and temptation. It is so easy to get lost in the world -- even the world that seems so cruel. It is easy to get short with people at the grocery store, or choose the path of less resistance by following the crowd so people will like you, or squander my money and resources away on myself and my family without a glance at how God could use them to help others.

It is very easy to get lost in the world; however, if we can endure the temptation, if we can keep our eyes on God and follow his will, if we can be repentant and love him, then he will give us the crown of life -- the ultimate prize. The crown of life is not glory here on earth, but the reward of eternal life -- living with God forever. That makes all of the trouble here on earth durable because it is only temporary. God's love is forever and He has the whole mess of a world under control. He has a plan -- one of judgment and salvation.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for being God. Thank you for giving light and purpose to this dark, chaotic world. Please be with me and help me overcome temptations. I want to patiently endure so I can be in your light forever.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful sentiment, may you be blessed with all the happiness in the world :)

    ReplyDelete