Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Make Time To Rest

Mark 6:30-32 -- "(30) The apostles returned to Jesus from their ministry tour and told him all they had done and taught. (31) Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn't even have time to eat. (32) So they left by boat for a quiet place, where they could be alone."

photo credit
I don't know about you, but my days are busy. Between activities for my daughter, church groups, teaching preschool at home and the medial tasks of dishes, laundry and getting dinner on the table every night, I am exhausted by dusk. At the end of some days I just sit down and wonder where the time went. Maybe you can relate.

It is very easy to get caught up in the everyday grind. We tend to not make much time for ourselves, or for God. When I am constantly busy without any rejuvenation, it is only a matter of time before I break down. My temper flairs and an emotional upheaval envelops the house (especially when it is just my daughter and I). Most of the time this unbalance can be deterred by simply resting.

Jesus knew the importance of rest. Many times Jesus goes off by himself to pray and talk to the Father. We need that time set aside, just like Jesus did. Making time for rest and to pray with the Father is essential for a balanced life.

Sometimes, let's face it, you just need a nap. There is a time that you must rest the physical body. However, the need to rest and renew your Spirit is just as strong.

God wants us to come to him for rest, to energize your Spirit. By praying and spending time in God's Word, He gives you joy and peace to carry with you throughout the day. He also gives you the ability to keep His purpose at the forefront of your mind at all times.

When I keep God and what He wants for me as the focus of my day, the dishes don't seem quite the same chore because I see the blessing it is to have dishes to clean and a roof over my head to come home to. I see the blessing I have in my family that dirties the dishes. Even a simple, repetitive chore like washing the dishes is a gift from God.

The most important thing God reminds me of is that my daughter is watching me and looking to me to be her role model. If I show no one else in the entire world the love of Christ (though I'd rather shout His love from the rooftops than keep it secret), I want my daughter to know it in her heart and in her home. When I am rested and strengthened by God's Word, I am just a little bit more patient and a little bit more understanding with my lovable, sometimes erratic three year old.

When I get tired and emotional it affects my entire family. I want to be better for my daughter. I want her to see how to take time out for herself and how to take time out for God. I want my home to be filled with peace and joy, just like I want my heart to be.

Jesus said, "Come with me by yourself to a quiet place and get some rest" (Mark 6:31). That invitation applies to us, to you and me, today.

Dear Lord,
Help me to see past the distractions and the busyness of life and to keep my focus always on You. Help me to make time to seek you out and go to a quiet place with you and get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment