Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 1: Why Clean?

Well, that seems like an easy question...because somebody has to do it, right? Wrong. I mean of course someone has to do it, but that isn't why you do it. You clean because you want to be healthy, you want to be in clean clothes, you want to be able to eat off plates with out mold on it, you want your house to be free of flies (if that is even possible in the summer), and you want to be able to walk on the floor instead of on top of toys and other clutter. Well, these are reasons to be clean, but why clean?

I've never been very good at mission statements. For all of my writing background and general love of it, I have a hard time making concise statements. I generally tend (in case you haven't noticed) to ramble on and sometimes lose my point completely. But today I'm making a point...why clean?

Have you noticed? I'm stalling...

Why do I clean? Why do I clean? Why does cleaning make me happy?

For me it boils down to this:

I have found it is hard to start any project when there is clutter in the way. This concept goes for mental projects as well as physical ones. I want a clean house so our minds and work spaces are clear to expand and embrace creativity.

I did it! I made a mission statement! I love creating things: scrapbook pages, photo gifts, thoughts, ideas, etc. I have a hard time focusing whenever I have things like dishes or laundry on my mind. I also have trouble focusing whenever I have to move stacks of mail, toys or clothes (or do several other things to prepare a space to work) before I can start on a project. By the time the space is clean my creativity is waning. So, there you go. Now that wasn't so hard was it?

Have you ever stopped to think about why you do something? Is is because it is expected of you or because it makes you smile? I think the point of this challenge is to find the reason behind why we expect ourselves to complete tasks so even the mundane ones can make us smile.

*Note: The challenge is associated with Joyful Mothering from the book 31 Days to Clean by Sarah Mae.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your reasons for wanting a clean house. I always have to clean the kitchen before I start dinner. My husband thinks I'm a little crazy:-) But I just can't start something when there's already a mess! Best of luck on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete