Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 9: Confronting laziness

I am guilty of laziness and procrastination. I don't know many who aren't at some point or another.

My favorite part of today's challenge is the quote about the stay-at-home mom:

When someone asks where you work, don't answer, "I don't work; I stay at home." Instead answer, "I work at home." When you manage your home, plan the meals, handle the finances, juggle the calendar, and make sure that family members enter the world relatively groomed and sanitized, you work a lot. Think of yourself as the COO of the home. --Tsh Oxenreider, SimpleMom.net (p. 21, 31 Days to Clean)

I have a hard time thinking of myself as the COO of the home because I share it and it's management with my husband. And I don't handle the finances. But on the whole, I like the statement that "I work in the home" because it is work. I think most people view stay-at-home parents to be sloths, to lazy or to good to go out and get a job. But every stay-at-home parent I know is as hard if not a harder worker keeping the home and kids running.

Staying at home is a choice and sometimes it is a hard choice. We have had our share of sacrifices so I can be at home with Zoey and overall, we are much happier for that decision.

I may have my lazy moments, but I don't have them as much as I used to (especially when I was in school or working.) Now I am finding that my times of not working are filled with times of much needed rest or staying "still" and playing with Zoey. (I put still in quotes because spending time with Zoey is very rarely being still.) I have learned to make better use of my time and realize that just because I'm not doing something every second of the day does not make me lazy, it keeps me going and doing all that I do with a joyful attitude.


*Note: The challenge is associated with Joyful Mothering from the book 31 Days to Clean by Sarah Mae.

No comments:

Post a Comment