Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 20: Time

Time is a funny thing. I remember having many conversations over coffee in college talking about time.

I also remember a friend's mom saying, "You better enjoy your life now (in college) because you'll never have this much time again." I didn't believe her. I figured, if I could just get through my classes and the papers I'd have plenty of time. I mean, a job only takes up 40 hours a week, that's plenty of time to left to do whatever I wanted. Yeah, right. I was young and delusional. Especially now that I am no longer working a 40 hour a week type of job. Being a stay at home mom is a 24/7 kind of job and on vacations, you take your work with you.

I'm not complaining, I love my job and I love my life. I now know what my friend's mom meant. I also would add that you'll never have more time to yourself. Roomates are one thing, a husband is something else, but with kids, your personal space and time is a sacred thing.

So time, more aptly, time management. It is a tough thing to manage time because often time manages you. I feel like I do fairly well at managing my time. I do have times where I don't do anything, but I don't get them enough for it to be a problem. And, I would say those 10 minutes I do nothing or spend an hour doing nothing but surfing the Internet or Facebook are sometimes the best time of my day. I am outwardly doing nothing productive, but inwardly, my mind is resting. By taking my mind off of my lists or frustrations for a little bit I am rejuvenated to start fresh and often get more done. True, if this were a constant thing it would be a bit different, but I'm doing good if I can have a computer on more than a couple/few hours a day because the rest of the time is spent with Zoey (and cleaning, etc.)

Time. Time is a tricky thing. It is amazing that no matter what, everything always gets done and I'm always better for it.

Now...cue Hootie and the Blowfish because I can't get that song out of my head!

"Time" by Hootie and the Blowfish

*Note: The challenge is associated with Joyful Mothering from the book 31 Days to Clean by Sarah Mae.

No comments:

Post a Comment