Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 19: Finding Joy in the Self-disciplined Life

Joy.

Joy is mentioned 244 times in the NIV bible, according to Bible Gateway. I would say it must be a pretty important topic.

The thing about joy is... it doesn't mean your life is going great, it doesn't mean you are in a good mood all the time, it doesn't even mean you have all the things that you want. It means you are at the core of your being satisfied.

The disciples definitely didn't have things going great for them all the time, in fact, they all were persecuted in some way, most were killed. However, they had joy.

"Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happed to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12-13 NIV

There are many times in life that things just need to get done. The dishes, for example, the laundry is another, but I am thankful that we live in a time where I am not persecuted for my beliefs (for the most part anyway). I am also glad I live in a time where I have a washing machine to help me out.

I am joyous everyday. I may not be happy about doing chores or getting interrupted, but at the core of my being I am satisfied. I love God and I love my family. Everything else is just details.

*Note: The challenge is associated with Joyful Mothering from the book 31 Days to Clean by Sarah Mae.

No comments:

Post a Comment