Monday, July 8, 2013

Homeschool: Introductions


Introductions

I decided to begin homeschooling my preschooler a little early this year. I did this for two reasons: one, last year we fizzled out a little early once it began to get warm and never finished the entire curriculum. Thus, by beginning earlier, we will finish earlier and be ready for all of our warm weather play dates and other spring adventures.

The other reason I wanted to begin early is because Zoey was so excited and willing to learn after doing Vacation Bible School with our church that I wanted to spring board school off of that willingness instead of waiting until you "suppose" to start school and loosing all of that momentum. This also gives an advantage for us in the sense that if we loose a couple weeks to specific activities and traveling it isn't getting us behind.

At any rate, I am beginning homeschooling earlier because it works for us. After the first week, I am glad I went ahead and began because Zoey had a great time with it and is already learning so much!

I am teaching Preschool K-4 this year with Zoey who will be four in August. I am building my own curriculum  through several predesigned sources. The focus of my curriculum is from ABC Jesus Loves Me a phenomenally well done Website which has many links, ideas, print outs and a solid preschool curriculum centered around ages 2-5. The reason I am drawn to this Site is because it has a strong Biblical base that ties bible stories into real world situations. It also has ideas and crafts to go along with the Bible stories as well as other books, projects and holidays. This Site is free for individual home use and has been a blessing to my family. (And no, they are not paying me to say any of this.) I will site other sources as I use them throughout the year.

I really enjoy reading and getting ideas from other sites and homeschooling parents, so I want to show what all we are doing as well to give others encouragement, ideas and links. Feel free to ask questions and discuss ideas in the comments section at the bottom of each post. My goal is to update weekly what we do and how well it works. I look forward to sharing our successes and struggles throughout the year and building a community of homeschooling parents who can offer advice, sources and support throughout the year.

1 comment:

  1. It is so much fun to see the joy of learning in our children's faces, and to be learning alongside them. Just living is learning, and I'm thankful for our homeschooling journey. Enjoy yours!
    (stopping by from Hip Homeschool Moms)

    ReplyDelete