Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Imitate Christ

1 Corinthians 11:1 -- "And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ."

photo credit
When I read this verse the term "Christ-like" comes to mind. So does the old phrase "what would Jesus do?" These are both everyday language that is saying the same thing -- imitate Christ.

If our goal to strive for is to be more like Christ, then I believe step one is to get to know Him. You do this by reading the gospels and analyzing how He reacts to people and how He treats people. He is honest, kind, compassionate, He walked among sinners and the poor, He treated everyone like they truly mattered because everyone does matter to God.

I know this does not account for every individual, but I believe that our society Christian and non-Christian alike have this image of Jesus Christ that has developed and molded throughout history. The thing is, often that image is not what I see in the scriptures. My challenge to you is to go back to the source. Read the scriptures and open yourself to a honest relationship with Christ and make your own deductions about who He is. Let Him see you for who you are and He will show you Himself.

To imitate Christ you must first know Him. Begin truly getting to know Christ today.

Dear Lord,
Help me to open Your Word and see the picture of who Christ really is and how much You genuinely love Your people -- how much You love me. Thank you for giving us a look at You through the Bible and help lead me as I begin to learn more about You.

No comments:

Post a Comment