Thursday, January 3, 2013

Wait for the Holy Spirit

Acts 1:8 -- “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

photo credit
Jesus had instructed his disciples to witness to people of all nations about him. But they were told to wait first for the Holy Spirit. God has important work for you to do for him, but you must do it by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I can only imagine how excited the disciples were to get started. I know I would have wanted to run out and start my mission. Jesus commanded them to go tell people near and far about him and his Father; however, they first had to wait for the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit all of their efforts would have been fruitless.

Jesus calls each of us for a specific purpose. For some the mission takes them around the world, for most it is to reach out to people we come in contact with on a daily basis. I have always felt a calling to minister and inspire through writing and teaching. However, you and I, just like the apostles, have to wait on God’s timing and for the Holy Spirit to be with us in our task or it will be fruitless.

Dear Lord,
Please help me to obey, as the disciples did, and wait for the Holy Spirit to go ahead with my calling. I thank you for instruction and I ask that the Holy Spirit shows me the way and makes my efforts reach “to the ends of the earth.”
View more Daily Devotionals

No comments:

Post a Comment